Monday, February 22, 2010

Digital Perm

I've been going on and on about digital perms lately, and, inevitably, I've gotten a lot of questions! Here are some Wikipedia excerpts:

A digital perm is a perm which uses hot rods with the temperature regulated by a machine, which has a digital display, hence the name....The biggest difference between other perms and a digital perm is the shape and the texture of the wave created by the digital process...Therefore you can create the dry and curly look of the curl iron or the hot curler. ....One's hair often feels softer, smoother, and shinier after a digital perm than before it...A digital perm makes the hair wavy when it is dry, so you just need to dry it with a blow dryer, and use your hand to make the curl. Styling is very easy, and if you set the curl in the morning, at the end of the day when the wave loosens, you can revive the curl just by curling it with your finger.

The part at the end about the "ease of styling" is what sold me! So last weekend, my mom and I drove to SF, met up with one of my best friends, Rebecca, and took the plunge!

Here are the results two days in:


It will relax a lot over the next few weeks (or so I am told) and will look more like a body wave. Anyway, so far it is insanely easy--this was just out of the shower with no product or styling. Every mom's dream, right? Let's just hope it's cute in 2 weeks...

12 comments:

soybeanlover said...

ohhhhh...definitely post an update. I want to see how it turns out!

Colette said...

oh my Cool! I've always wondered about these but never known anyone whose had one. Love it!

Vicki with an "i" said...

I"m dying! You look so cute. Just last night I told my friend that I want a perm, but not an ugly ogolvive home perm. Can I get this in Utah? Who knows. I'm in Chile now anyway, my guess is that they don't have it here because you can't even flush toilet paper down the toilet without having a flood! SO CUTE!

BECKY said...

It's SO pretty!! I was going to ask you on Sunday if you had gotten one!

Marie said...

I got to see Amy's hair live yesterday, and I love it. Not nasty-smelling or crispy like the many chemical perms I got back in the day -- very soft. I hope they have them here soon!

The McNeils said...

Wow... stunning! Makes me wish I had long hair.

musthavebeen said...

I am sold. I'm gonna get my hair in shape, plan a trip to Seattle, and when I can afford it, I'm gonna get one. Thanks for telling me about them! Hope SLC gets a salon with the capability to do a digital perm in the next 5 years.

KIM said...

I love your hair! What salon/stylist did you go to in SF? Thanks!

Amy said...

Hey Kim....I went to Joe at Star East Hair and Beauty....read his fab yelp reviews here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/star-east-hair-and-beauty-san-francisco-2?rpp=40&sort_by=relevance_desc&start=40

Good luck!

KIM said...

Wow, he sounds great! Thanks so much....I hope mine looks as good as yours!

Sarah said...

beautiful! Just wondering, how much does a digital perm cost? Just curious. It looks worth it!

Amy said...

Sarah, the place I went had a base rate of $160...mine was $180 because of length or thickness or something. I think that's pretty typical.